Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Choices

I had to make a decision this year. I had to decide which of my classes to cut back on.

During the last 6 months of 2008 I was teaching 2 regular flow classes a week, 1 gentle yoga class, 2 pregnancy yoga classes, 1 mum and baby class and a voluntary class at a cancer centre. It was too much. I was so drained that I wasn't giving any of the classes my best shot and I was bringing the wrong sort of energy to my students.

So I decided to merge the two pregnancy classes and run a booking system - first come first served - and to give up one other class.

I ummed and ahhhed about giving up the voluntary work, but it gives me so much happiness to know I am putting something back (no such thing as a selfless good deed after all) that I couldn't do that. So I had to look at my least lucrative class.

Mum and baby yoga. Not so much that I don't have a lot of interest, but more because of the nature of being a new mum it is very hard to commit to a weekly class and whilst 6 or 7 people would sign up for the class only 2 or 3 would turn up each week. So much as it breaks my heart to do it and much as I love the little ones, I have decided for now to put my mum and baby classes on hold.

My yoga teaching is going in a completely different direction to the way I thought it would. I thought I wanted to teach children, but I am finding myself going further and further down the yoga therapy route and I must follow my heart here. I've enjoyed teaching the babies but I have to give it up to put the right sort of energy back into my other classes.

No comments: