Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On food....

In an attempt to bring a little more balance and contentment into my life and adhere a little more closely to anti-inflammatory diets, I am slowly drawing myself back round to a more animal-free way of life. It's going to be a process of baby steps, first up I'm cutting out meat and dairy (I shouldn't be eating dairy anyway due to a lactose intolerance), working out all the products I like and don't like. For instance I had forgotten how much I love vegan "cheese" slices but yesterday we had some tofu sausages which have given me the worst indigestion I've had in ages!

I have to say in the three years in which I have been omnivorous again** both the variety of vegan products on the market and the variety of places you can get them has definitely increased. And that's going to make it easier. What makes it harder of course is living with a carnivore! That's not really fair, Himself is omnivorous and has no objection to eating veggie at least five times a week - but what I am not going to do is push my beliefs and my lifestyle choices on to somebody else. Relationships are about compromise and my compromise is to experiment in cooking dishes to suit us both. Which is probably why I'll never be the uber-strict vegan I used to be -- but baby steps eh? Anything is possible!

=

**I was vegan for many, many years but ended up really ill about 5 years ago with iron/Vit B12 deficiency due to endometriosis issues (not the vegan diet, although at the time I was going through quite a lot and totally not looking after myself - one cannot live on peanut butter sandwiches it appears) and started eating meat again. Since then I have of course spent several years fighting fibromyalgia and feeling I needed all the protein I could get! I am now in a position to start to cut meat out of my diet again.

No comments: