Monday, August 10, 2009

More on food and moving on

If you read my relatively infrequent blog updates you will know that over the last few weeks I have been slowly trying to draw myself back to an animal free diet. I've really surprised myself with some absolutely delicious meals - and secretly I think Himself has been rather surprised as well. He certainly hasn't complained. And he's been wonderfully supportive - although he has been cooking himself bacon on the BBQ in the back garden :)

My favourites so far have been the refried chili beans with brown rice and corn chips (still working on tracking down vegan sour "cream" in the UK) and the vegan Mac and "Cheese" I made last night (which could have done with a bit of extra Cheezley to be honest, but I'll know for next time). The daal was also good but I made enough to feed an army so I got a bit bored of it!

Also been baking lots of nice vegan treats :)

=

We have been taking some time to visit various places that we probably won't see again once we move to Cambridge. I'm not sure it's always a good idea to re-visit places that have good memories attached, yet I persist in doing it (and persist in being let down!).

So on Saturday after I'd finished teaching, we took a nostalgic trip to the Fishponds. Back when we were first dating, I lived in North London and used to come down to Surbiton for the weekends where many a happy afternoon was spent at the Fishponds doing... well those things people who have just started dating do ;)

We haven't been for ages and ages so we thought it might be nice. We were wrong. All the fish seem to be dead. The ponds themselves have barely any water in them and the ducks are sort of paddling about in 6 inches of green sludge. On top of that there was a girl chucking rocks at ducks and her parents were just letting her. I really wanted to say something but I just don't have the guts. It reminded me of the time I saw a woman letting her lab shit on the verge outside my house and then just walk away. I wish I'd said something to her to. My mum said I should have just taken her registration number and reported her. I'm sure I used to be more confrontational but I'm also very aware these days of trying hard not to think bad thoughts. Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!

Anyway next week I believe we're going down to the East Sussex coast and ruin some memories there! :)

1 comment:

Free Yoga at MyFreeYoga.com said...

good luck sounds like your own the right path.