Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 24 - Doga

The latest craze from the US to hit our little island is Doga - dog yoga. There there is even a book about it!

The story in the link is a pretty good one, with the dogs doing yoga outside. Perhaps a bit odd, but I can see where they are coming from. But Doga was first introduced to me in a magazine article by one of my students. In this particular article the dogs were in the yoga studio with their owners being held whilst their owners did their yoga asana (what happens if your dog is a Great Dane I'm not sure!). None of the dogs looked particularly happy!

Of course, this conjured up all sorts of images in my mind. From my experiences with mum and baby yoga, once one baby starts crying they all start crying -- what would happen when one dog started barking? And if I was teaching in my home studio I can't imagine the cats would be very happy about the smell of dog in their home!

Whilst I enjoy my kitties winding in and out of my legs during my own practice, I really don't think I'm ready to invite animals to my yoga classes!

No comments: