Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 27 - Swine Flu

I woke up this morning to pouring rain, a pile of kitty vomit and a Googlereader feed full of stories of Swine Flu.

However, it didn't depress me as much as it may have done. Whilst my thoughts are with all those in Mexico who have lost people to the illness and whilst I hope and pray the illness does not become pandemic, it reminded me of an incident during the avian flu "crisis".

At the time I was working for a large American law firm in London. The American offices seemed very concerned about the outbreak (I can't remember what triggered it) and the CEO in Pittsburgh sent us out an email with about a trillion bullet points of things to do to stop us being infected.

Best of all the Americans sent over two huge care parcels. One was full of disinfectant hand gels the other full of face masks to hand out amongst the staff.

To my knowledge those two boxes are still in the basement of my old London office.

A classic example of the British stiff upper lip eh?!!

No comments: