Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 7 - Counting Blessings

I self practice every morning. I wake up, have a cup of hot water and lemon and get on my mat. I'm incredibly lucky in that I can do this at 7am every day. I am a morning practice person. I really need that time, first thing, to collect my thoughts, to awaken my body, to move my spirit, to prepare for the day.

It has not ever been thus. Before I gave up work I had to be on a train to work by 7.55am. I had two choices, get out of bed at ridiculous o'clock or miss my yoga (as I was teaching most evenings directly after finishing my day job, evening practice really wasn't an option). Five mornings out of ten I didn't get out of bed in time. Whilst I learned a lot about "yoga off the mat" during this time and came to relish those three or four self practices I got each week, nothing beats knowing that very little is going to come between me and my mat at 7am each day (unless you count two kitties twirling in and out of my downward dog!)

My morning practice makes the stresses of daily life that little bit more bearable -- and on days like today when I've had a rather unpleasant day, that means so much.

So today I remember how blessed I am that I am able to be on my mat rather than a commuter train each morning!

No comments: